Today I am going to make Medu Vada. Medu vada is a very famous south Indian tasty breakfast and and can be used as a snack food . “Medu” is the Kannada word meaning “soft” and thus “medu vada” literally means “soft fritter”. Specially it is more popular in South part of the india where Tamil people call it as ‘urad vada, medhu vadai’ , ‘ulundu vadai’. Telugu people call it as ‘garelu Vada’ and in Malayalam, people call it as ‘uzhunnu vada’……………………… !!! Isn’t Amazing??
India have a very rich food culture so every state have something different with it’s own identity . In every state you can feel their soul in their food .
Medu vada is made by urad dal and some spices. It gets serve with Coconut chutney and sambhar along with idli ( if possible).
Let’s see how to make this tasty recipe, step by step …………… cook eat and enjoy ..!!! 🙂
- 2 cup Udad daal ( skinned split black gram )
- 2-3 spring curry leaves (chopped)
- 1 tbsp chopped green chilli
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 cup cruised coconut pieces
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- salt to taste
- pinch of Hing(asofatita)
- Oil for frying
- Soak the urad dal for 5-6 hrs or over night.
- Drain it and Grind the soak daal to a smooth batter.(don’t use water if possible )
- If the batter become very watery Just add some semolina (1 -2 tbsp ). Now add all ingredients (except oil).
- Mix it very well and finally beat it. How to test if batter is ready?: Take a bowl half full of water and put a drop of paste in it.If it comes up, paste is ready for deep frying .If it not, beat it again. This is shown in below picture:
- Now take a small part of batter and try to make a smooth ball with your hand (on palm , apply some water on your palm ). Make a hole in center. Vada is ready for frying .
- Take pan with heavy bottom.Put the oil and heat it at medium flame and drop it in heated oil gently .as shown in pic (at low fame) .
- Now turn it carefully and fry till it comes golden brown…
Now crispy Medu vada is ready to eat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Serve with Hot sambhar and coconut chutny…………… Enjoy …. 😀